Childhood...
...how I miss it.
The innocence, the love, the simplicity of life, the immensity, the possibilities, the ease with which we could live...I loved it, and still do. And I try to hold onto it even now. And so, I'm going to make the first of many confessions. And whatever you think of me for this, I don't care. I think it's better to be true than to be fake.
I still have a teddy bear. His name is Pandy, and he is--as his name hints--a panda. I've had him since I was at least four, when I made him at Build-a-Bear Workshop. I remember that I was overjoyed in making him, and took everything to heart...even believed he was alive (and perhaps I still do, I'll never be quite sure). So, when they told me that there was a thread that threatened to split his head slightly, and they were about to throw him away. I was HORRIFIED! I started shouting at the top of my lungs, "DON'T DO IT I LOVE HIM LEAVE HIM ALONE DON'T!" they immediately decided against it, and when my mom suggested clipping the thread, they quickly did so, and to this day, his head hasn't split...and though all the faux-fur has been rubbed of his nose, and I lost the suit I got him that day, he still remains one of my most treasured memories and friends (though I don't still talk to him as much, unless I'm really, really sleepy).
So that's that!
Think I'm a freak for that? Well, if you do, I'm going to be quite frank. It takes quite a lot of balls to admit on a public blog post that I still treasure my teddy bear, and if you can't see that, you need to get your eyes--and maturity level--checked.
So, that was among my sweetest memories...but it wasn't my first. THAT one was a very strange one indeed.
I remember standing at the top of the stairs of our old house in Cartersville (which was built at the same time I was born, and remains a recurring location in my dreams and a very missed location in my memories), on the third floor (where all the bedrooms were), looking down at a group of four people. It was apparently dark outside (through the porch window behind the table, there was just darkness visible), so I'm guessing it was nighttime (if it even happened at all). The four people standing at the foot of the carpeted stairs, their arms stretched up towards me, where as follows: my dad, my Mama, an old man, and an old woman. At first, when I looked back at this memory, that the old man and woman where my dad's parents, Grandmother and Pop...but upon further thought, this assumption came into question. First, I was unsure of the old man's identity...then, the old woman's. If this was indeed a real memory, and not just a dream or something else, perhaps I was seeing my grandparents...on my Mama's side. You see, I have several beliefs about innocence that have a tiny bit of religion in them. It is said that the prayers of children are more powerful than those who are older, because they're much closer to God, given that they only just left his presence upon conception. This lack of exposure to the world is called innocence (duh), and being innocent, I believe they can see things of a spiritual nature...both good and evil. This is reflected, I think, in both Imaginary Friends and--unfortunately--boogey monsters. I think that Imaginary Friends are actually the Guardian Angels of the children who see them, and who share a very special relationship with them throughout their lives (whether or not the child notices their presence as they age). Likewise, however, I believe that every person in this world is constantly under spiritual attack from Demons (because yes, I strongly believe that Demons and Angels exist), and in children, this is represented by the boogeyman--a monster that wants to hurt them. Maybe that seems a little weird, but take it how you will.
Aaaaaaaaaaanyway, after taking that dive into philosophy, my point in mentioning that belief is in saying that, perhaps that old man and woman were actually angels...or maybe, just my grandparents. I'll probably never know...
(Don't worry--if you like this blog--there's much more to come...when I have time to type it)
Saturday, February 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment