Tuesday, August 25, 2009

List of Things I Love About Writing

Ok, OBSESSIVE MUCH?!
Yes, it's true, I LOOOOOOOOOOVE writing, but there's more than just one reason for it. So, just to pass the time (for blogging intrigues me), I will list them here, for no particular reason whatsoever...

1.)Naming-I love coming up with names...Baalshebat, the Ruins of Hah-Vathul, Turoc, and Udholme, the Regnavinex, the Creatorix, the Aenchents, the Throm, the Sea of Elgaveth, Vaednari, Bramblewen, Anazshka, the Belzoar, the Under, Madju-Gata, Nox Novum, the Veldinpar, the Gulph, the Tinder Bog, the Isidiak, the Pit of Babel, etc...

2.)Rules-Reality can go any way I want it to. Gravity, anachronistic technology, space, matter, all of physics...all of these can go out the window if I can justify their absence or abnormal coexistence. And as long as I'm not blasphemous, spirits--such as Madju-Gata, Ulmods, Shrouds--can alter these circumstances further. And don't even get me started on the Twelve Forces....

3.)Relationships-The characters I create all have their own histories, their pasts, their personal flaws, their own hurts and loves and wishes and quirks (bad grammar, I know, but personally, I think that focus on 'good grammar' has kept a lot of potential Poes and Twains and Tolkiens from even trying to write). For example, one character I've made was made an orphan after trying to rescue his family from death by striking a deal with their murderers, is constantly recording random information about weather, mood, and temperature, as well as rewriting and writing his own will, and is an excellent motorcyclist despite the fact that he always wears soot-covered motor-goggles (all attributes from the cousin of my mom I never got the chance to meet: Togo).

4.)Symbolism-I LOVE SYMBOLS! I EVEN HAVE A LITTLE BOOK OF SYMBOLS THAT I USE TO CONNECT WITH OTHER CULTURES AND SEEM SMART AT THE SAME TIME!!!!!!!!!! :E

Btw, this blog WILL be edited to add reasons that I love to write...:)

2 comments:

  1. All good ideas, Hiram. One thing you'll want to figure out is which names fit where. If you are writing a piece of realism, a name like "Rogue" wouldn't fit. Even if your characters are fantastical, you may STILL be trying to go for realism. Some horror movies (like "The Shining") go for realism, even though the events are not technically "possible." Realism is just a technique to keep your reader firmly fixed in the world.

    On the other hand, perhaps you are going for something more along the lines of a graphic novel, in which the events, the setting, even the characters are not "realistic." In that case, a name like "Rogue" when fit perfectly.

    Or perhaps you want to go for irony and make a create a really mundane setting and plot, but give all the characters fantastic names and super powers that they aren't allowed to use! Now that's hilarious. Just think of a super hero who would save the world but can't because he has to sit still and be quiet in the work place. Or a vampire who wants to suck blood but can't because his parents make him hold his knife and fork correctly. "I can't get a bite of the neck when you make me use the fork and knife, mom!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiram, I love that you took some time to discover what you love about writing, and what it lets you do and be. So essential for a writer to identify what's at the crux of his love affair with words and writing. And, as Mr.Maddox points out, that will empower you to distinguish the difference between writing for yourself, and writing for readers...

    ReplyDelete