To me, my name is among my most precious of possessions...I doubt that I would be anyone like the person I am today were I known by any other name. First and foremost I consider myself a writer...one who loves his craft more than any other endeavour. In a way, it's kinda like playing God without being blasphemous...for me, it's much more fun than anything I've ever experienced. I love to learn about almost everything, especially symbols, zoology, mythology, history, and literature. My mom tells me I've got artistic talent, but other than very detailed doodles, I've never produced anything that wasn't forged by graphite pencil or ink. That's not to say that I don't like my doodles...
God, my family, my friends, my writing, my future family, and the impact I make on the world around me are all at the top of my list of priorities. My life is (I hope), more devoted to God than anything else--even family or friends--and it is for him that I write...in a way, one could say it's one of the special ways I praise him. However, I don't think any one can say I try to shove my religion down anyone's throat....though, if you bash the Catholic Church, I certainly won't leave my religion undefended. One of the most bizarre things I feel is important in my life is my future family...I think about my future wife and children almost every day. I also want to make an impact in the lives of others, and hopefully, convert a few others not through words, but through kindness and Christ-like behaviour. I hope to gain a good deal from this promising year in English class, specifically in the fields of different genres of writing (should they arise to be overcome), and in the formidable (in my mind) field of poetry. I've tried my hand, and found that I'm not exactly a poetic genius...but I hope that this year, I can get the chance to flex my atrophied poetic muscles when the time comes. I hope also to get some extra practice with my writing...in my mind, anyone can be a genius at writing, and only three things are needed: 5% style, 5% effort, and 90% practice. And lastly...I hope to become a better student and peer than I was when I first started school.
Monday, August 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Don't forget your paragraphs, Hiram.
ReplyDeleteI must say that you are driving down the writer's highway at about 95mph. Don't forget to pull over and fill your tank with a good novel from time to time. Reading great literature is like cardio for writers. (I wish I could take credit for that one.) You're right that practice is what makes a writer. But reading is crucial, too. Let me know when you want a list of some of the best. Maybe you could start with....
The Sirens of Titan
Cat's Cradle
Confederacy of Dunces
The Master and Margarita
The Adventures and Misadventures of Maqroll
Anything by Paul Auster, Jonathan Safran Foer, or Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Or, if you're up for it, you might even try to tackle House of Leaves or even Infinite Jest. Let me know what you're reading, and I'll see what we can substitute out of our class curriculum to accomodate your interests and impressive drive.